September 12, 2011

A Little Credit

I really think it's annoying when people complain about money (or flaunt it) but I do feel the need to briefly talk about my current situation. Normally I would write something like this in my journal, but today you get to share in my drama- so sorry.

I took 5 months off of work to have Noah. That's the longest I have ever gone without making some sort of income. I don't know how the rest of marriages work, but my husband and I choose to each have our own checking accounts and then a joint checking account-it works for us. Well, my not working and the hospital bills really hit hard. Neither of us has had any personal money for months. Once his check comes in, it's pretty much gone. I am just not use to living like this.

On top of all this, both of our cars (which are paid off thankfully) have needed to be fixed 2 times each and the total bill was not cheap.

I also have to add that I really do love to shop, even if it's to the thrift store for second hand books. I wasn't buying anything for the longest time and I think I finally cracked....

I started using my credit card (which I vowed to myself not to use upon pain of death) to get little things here and there. Most of it was for the baby so I validated it. Well....I went a little crazy shopping for my nephew's first birthday (I really got a deal though) and my husband saw the purchases. Needless to say, my credit card is now in a million sparkly pieces at the bottom of our shredder. :(

This is for the best, because I really do believe if you can't afford something you shouldn't charge it and I want to pay off the debt not add to it. But a part of me is actually sad (I know it's pathetic) that I now have no means to buy anything.

I am starting to get panicky because birthdays and Christmas are right around the corner. I have started working again so hopefully things turn around a little bit in the very near future. And just so you don't think I am a completely greedy, materialistic idiot.... we have also had to cut back on our charitable giving which really bothers me because I feel it is necessary to give back. 

Tomorrow will be a better day and maybe I have a case of the Mondays, so I am sorry you have to share in this sad little post. Wishing you all the best!!

No comments: